Fear of Success? Fear of Failure?



This Friday night I am giving a reading for Humanities Washington as part of their Bedtimes Stories: Night Flight fundraising dinner. I should be trying to write new poems right now. This very minute. Instead I am merely writing out my fear of failure. I am the only poet in a group of fiction writers (and one non-fiction writer). I do not have a story, but a sequence of poems. Is this a problem or an advantage? Is the difference up to me?


Sometimes I try to remember back to the very early 1990's when I first began to publish my poems, and then later, in 1994, when I returned for a second graduate degree, an MFA in Poetry at the University of Oregon. My mother thought I had lost my mind. I was leaving a good job with Amnesty International to move across the country to Oregon (where exactly was Oregon?) to start a second graduate degree in my mid-30's. Who does that? I can see why she thought I was deranged.


I don't remember being afraid of failure then. Perhaps it's the fault of a faulty memory. Perhaps the adventure of moving West, of leaving my job, of claiming poetry in a public way-- perhaps that protected me from fear. By this Friday night I hope to be able to live in the present moment; I want to enjoy listening to the other writers of the evening: Garth Stein, Charles Johnson, Jenny Shortridge..., I want to be comfortable with myself as a writer in the world. Wish me luck!



Comments

  1. Oh, but I think you do have a story, which you tell so beautifully in your poems.

    The theme sounds delightful. Have fun!

    Last Saturday I gave the first reading I've done since the late '70s/early '80s. I thought I'd be nervous but I wasn't. The setting was intimate, in the library of an old church. I enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be wonderful, I'm sure! Just as I'm sure Maureen was! People are rooting for you from afar, and they will right there, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment